How was your day? I asked. The words were rushed; I was dying to escape to my room.“你今天过得如何?”我问道。这话说得太仓促了。我迫不及待地想要逃回我一个人的房间。
Good. The fish were biting… how about you? Did you get everything done that you wanted to?“好极了。那些鱼都咬钩了……你呢?你把想做的事情都做完了吗?”
Not really — it was too nice out to stay indoors. I took another big bite.“没——外面的天气太好了,待在屋里太可惜了。”我又咬了一大口宽面条。
It was a nice day, he agreed. What an understatement, I thought to myself.“今每天气非常不错。”他同意道。多么守旧的描述,我自忖着。
Finished with the last bite of lasagna, I lifted my glass and chugged the remains of my milk.吃完最后一口意大利面后,我拿起我的杯子,咕噜咕噜地喝完了剩下的牛奶。
Charlie surprised me by being observant. In a hurry?查理正密切关注着我,他非常惊讶。“你赶时间?”
Yeah, I'm tired. I'm going to bed early.“是的,我累了。我要早点上床睡觉。”
You look kinda keyed up, he noted. Why, oh why, did this have to be his night to pay attention?“你看起来有点开心。”他注意到了。为何,哦为何,他今晚就非得这么留神注意呢?
Do I? was all I could manage in response. I quickly scrubbed my dishes clean in the sink, and placed them upside down on a dish towel to dry.“有吗?”我挖空心思也只能作出如此的回话。我飞快地把我的盘子在水槽里擦洗干净,然后用抹布把它们擦干。
It's Saturday, he mused.“今天是星期六。”他若有所思地说道。
I didn't respond.我没回答。
No plans tonight? he asked suddenly.“今晚没安排吗?”他突然问道。
No, Dad, I just want to get some sleep.“不,父亲,我只不过想去睡觉。”
None of the boys in town your type, eh? He was suspicious, but trying to play it cool.“镇里没一个男生是你喜欢的种类,嗯?”他非常怀疑,但努力抑制住了我们的情绪。
No, none of the boys have caught my eye yet. I was careful not to over|emphasize the word boys in my quest to be truthful with Charlie.“没,还没一个男生能吸引我的眼球。”我小心地不去过分强调我的话里“男生”那个词,以维持对查理的诚实态度。
I thought maybe that Mike Newton… you said he was friendly.“我以为或许迈克?牛顿……你说过他非常友好。”
He's Just a friend, Dad.“他只不过个朋友,父亲。”
Well, you're too good for them all, anyway. Wait till you get to college to start looking.“好吧,无论怎么样你都太棒了,他们配不上你。等你上了大学再开始找吧。”
Every father's dream, that his daughter will be out of the house before the hormones kick in.每一个爸爸的梦想,就是我们的女儿会在荷尔蒙起用途以前离开家。
英语故事相关



